The School Safety course is designed to educate and train Texas ISD teachers and ISD staff on the fundamentals of active shooter response. Students will learn how to think under stress and be placed in real life scenarios during course of instruction.
This course is designed for a minimum of fifteen (15) hours, maximum twenty (20) hours of classroom instruction, written examinations, practical exercises and live fire proficiency demonstration. Skills covered go beyond License to Carry therefore YOU MUST HAVE A LICENSE TO CARRY to take this course. In order to obtain certification, students must pass the Texas License to Carry shooting test with a score of 90% or higher (225 points) and complete a 120 round shooting under duress shooting exercise developed by DPS. Upon successful completion of the course, students will receive a Texas Department of Public Safety Proof of Training Certificate filed with the agency as part of your license to carry.
- Pre-Qualification Written Test- based on existing LTC laws and regulations (90% required)
- Protection of students
- Interaction of license holders with first responders
- Tactics for denying an intruder entry into a classroom or school facility
- Learn what common items you should have in your classroom to use to deny entry or defend.
- Methods for increasing a license holders’ accuracy with a handgun while under duress
- Role playing exercises
- How to “be prepared” for the worst case scenario
- Final written exam (90% required)
- LTC range qualification (Must pass with a minimum of 90%)
- Shooting under duress training
- Shooting using hostage targets
- Malfunction clearing
- Shooting while moving
- Magazine changes
- How to function under stress
Students must bring the following
Come prepared to take this course with the following gear:
- A semi-automatic handgun or a revolver.38 cal or larger (2 magazines for semi auto or speed loader for revolver)
- 250 rounds of ammunition
- Eye and ear protection
- Note-taking material
- Closed toe shoes. No sandals or flip flops
- No low cut V neck shirts or tank tops
- Hand towel
- Tourniquet (TQ) and or IFAK
The following is not required but recommended:
- Snacks or small meal
- Bug spray
- Sweat towel or anything you may need to be comfortable
- Check the weather on the day of the course and dress appropriately.
Wear something comfortable (check weather). It’s an outdoor range, don’t wear your Sunday best!
- Texas License to Carry (LTC/CHL)
Note: ANY school teacher or school district employee CAN take this course on their own and receive this certification regardless if your school allows you to carry in school or not.
Note: Although any school employee can receive this certification, you must still have permission from your ISD to carry in school and on the job.