The LTC course is the required class by the State of Texas to obtain a handgun license. The License to Carry (LTC/CHL) will allow you to carry an open or concealed, any caliber, semi-automatic or revolvers.
18 years of age or older, can now take and apply for a Texas License To Carry (LTC). This is a 2023 change.
Students in the Rio Grande Valley (RGV) can take advantage of taking the Online License to Carry class and range qualification for ONLY $80. Operation Shield offers the official Online License to Carry class through Texas Carry Academy. For students looking to take the online LTC class ONLY click here.The online LTC class works on all electronic devices and is four hours long. The online LTC course is self-paced, students can stop, log out, log back in and pick up right where you left off! The MOST popular and easy way to take the LTC Class is ONLINE.
What about the Range Instruction?
The range instruction is included with this course option! This course option is ONLY for students in Edinburg, TX and surrounding cities of the Rio Grande Valley (RGV). After completing the Online LTC, email us at email@example.com to schedule the range portion. The average range instruction is two hours. The required shooting portion of the LTC class is very basic and focuses mostly on safe gun handling. To practice the range qualification, students can download a free LTC target here.
We will cover the application process in the class and provide you with instructions. There is nothing needed to complete before taking the class.
Students exempt from the range portion
Certain students are not required to complete the range portion of the LTC class and they can take the Online LTC Class only. Students that are not required to complete the shooting portion are:
- Texas State Correctional Officers “CO’s”.
- Active duty military or veterans that have within the past 10 years completed training in the familiarization of firearms OR have firearm shooting scores from the military.
- County Jailers that have completed firearms training as part of their employment.
Benefits of having a Texas LTC
- Basic handgun use and safety instruction
- Knowledge of carry laws
- Reciprocity with 37 other states
- Campus carry
- School zone carry
- Protection for school district employees
- Easier interaction with Law Enforcement
- Bypass NICS background check
- Protection from “no guns” signs
- Trespass protection
- 18+ y/o military members are eligible
- Are allowed “oopsies” at airports
- Legal protection a LTC provides
- Legal form of ID
- Fewer restrictions
- Peace of mind
- Basic handgun use and safety
- Loading and unloading
- Sight alignment
- Breathing control
- Trigger prep
- Follow through
- Eye dominance
- Basic range command
- 20 shots at 3 yards
- 20 shots at 7 yards
- 10 shots at 15 yards
What to bring to the LTC class
- Semi-automatic handgun or a revolver (any caliber), unloaded and in a box, case or bag.
- One box with 50 rounds of ammunition
- Baseball Cap or hat
- Safety, prescription or sun glasses
- Hearing protection (earplugs or earmuffs)
- Footwear that covers both feet entirely
- No low cut or “V” neck shirts
- Hand towel
NO RELOADED, HAND LOADED or SURPLUS AMMUNITION ALLOWED. Use commercial ammunition only.
Handgun rentals are available for $25, and include 50 rounds of ammunition.
Eye and ear protection are available upon request.
Wear something comfortable (check weather). It’s an outdoor range, don’t wear your Sunday best!